Ector Baptist Church

Ector, Texas

A Friendly Church in the Heart of a Friendly Community

History

Little Jordan Cemetery Historical Marker 

The Little Jordan Baptist Church was located between Ector and Savoy (on what is now Highway 56) and disbanded in 1893.  The tract of land (four and one half acres donated by S.H. and Susan Brown) and a small cemetery remains with a historical marker designating where those pioneer Christians began the ministry of serving God and meeting the spiritual needs of the people.

Old Ector School

The Ector Baptist Church was organized in 1894 in the Ector School building under the leadership of Brother Fount Jones with about fifteen Charter Members, who were former Little Jordan members. 

Old_Church

Shortly thereafter the "Little Jordan Church" west of Ector was bought and moved to Ector on a lot donated by George Long and is the site of the Ector Baptist Church today.  Before the builders got the building on the foundation, it was blown down by a storm.  Not even a storm could prevent those dedicated Christians from building a house of worship for the glory of God, to preach the Gospel and win the lost to Christ as they salvaged the lumber and rebuilt the building.  This building served the church for over 50 years.

New Church in Newspaper

In 1952 planning began for a new church building.  Plans continued to progress and in August 1954, the building was torn down in approximately six weeks by volunteer labor.  Most of the lumber was salvaged and used in the new building which greatly reduced the cost.  During this time church services were temporarily moved back to the Ector School building.  The new building was dedicated on March 27, 1955 and continues to serve the Church today.

Most recently two building lots were purchased across the street from the current church site for future expansion.